Communications Associate - Content Creation
September 24, 2019
Brink is seeking a full-time Communications Associate with proven experience at writing and creating content. Your focus will be writing, creating clear and persuasive content in a variety of topic areas and client voices, most importantly tactical communications and marketing pieces like emails, collateral, memos, short- and long-form articles. Brink’s Communications Associates also pitch in to provide support on various client projects in other ways, from writing communications plans, to creating social media strategy to conducting research and working directly with clients to manage deliverables and meet clients’ goals and create positive change. You’ll also support the Account Management and Creative teams with research and some project management tasks. No two days are alike in this dynamic role.
The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills and at least two years of experience in a professional setting—preferably a creative agency, government agency, political campaign, nonprofit organization, or similarly dynamic environment.
At Brink, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and representative workplace that benefits our team members, clients and our communities. Brink is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
Brink is a woman-owned communications firm committed to supporting community-led movements and creating change for good. We are proud to be a B Corp and we work with mission-driven clients throughout the West Coast and across the country in three focus areas: Social/Racial Justice, Urban Innovation and Healthy Communities. We believe every movement needs a great message.
Based in Portland, Oregon, the Content Communications Associate is responsible for the following:
- Create clear and accurate first drafts of content for a wide variety of clients, formats and audiences—from long-form articles and blog posts to social media content and web copy.
- Edit and refine content (your own or other’s) as directed by the project owner or client
- Conduct interviews and research, and lead brainstorming sessions to develop compelling story content.
- Assist with the development and implementation of communications and public relations strategies.
- Track media coverage and prepare reports for clients.
- Perform proofreading, copy-editing and quality control on materials written by other Brink staff and contractors.
- Actively participate in internal meetings, contributing ideas and opinions to help develop strategy and concepts.
- Maintain open, regular communication on the status of current and upcoming projects with team members, clients and contractors.
- Provide support within the Account team, pitching in on projects as needed.
- Ensure all work is performed on-time and on-budget.
- Share responsibility for timeliness and quality of client projects.
- Stay up-to-date on news, policy and political developments as they relate to clients and core Brink issues areas.
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results-oriented, and share Brink’s commitment to social and racial justice.
You should bring:
- A compassionate, clear approach to team and client communications.
- Ability to operate in a quick-moving, ever-evolving environment, and curiosity to explore and create new processes when they serve team health and quality of work;
- A strategic and problem-solving approach to work;
- Demonstrated success in creating digital content and strategy for organizations, campaigns or clients
- Sincere interest in collaboration, creative problem-solving, and continuous learning.
Key Experience Desired:
We know that experience is gathered in many ways. These guidelines represent some, but not all ways you might have acquired the skills required for this role. If you have a demonstrated ability to fulfill the job duties but got there in a different way, please apply.
- At least two years of professional experience with writing in some form (social media, editorial, journalistic, marketing, or similar)
- Professional experience in communications and/or policy—political, creative agency, legislative and/or non-profit experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; fluency in multiple languages desirable.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $45,000 - $60,000 commensurate with experience and skills. Brink offers excellent benefits, including fully covered health, dental, vision and short-term disability insurance; 401(k) with employer match; paid annual transit pass; profit sharing and paid volunteer time.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, please submit ALL of the following by October 15:
- A portfolio or work sample that directly demonstrates your skills in communications strategy (earned, social, owned, paid), content development, and implementation
- Cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why are you interested in Brink?
- If everything else were taken care of so you didn’t have to worry about money or time, what is the cause you would put all of your energy into? Why?
- What is your personal headline?
Applications that do not include the above will not be considered.